Full Article Visit -->
- 1 cup boiled potato about 2 medium yellow or red potatoes, see note for strict paleo diets
- 4 garlic cloves peeled
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup raw cashews soaked overnight if not using a high-speed blender like a Vitamix
- 1 cup vegetable broth See Note if not vegan
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup coconut milk unsweetened, full fat, from a can
- 1 4-ounce can chopped mild chiles
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 4-ounce can chopped pickled jalapeños divided and drained (reserve juice)
- 1 tablespoon pickled jalapeno juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon tapioca starch Optional. For a gooier texture
- dash turmeric Optional. For color
- 1-2 teaspoons salt
- 1 can tomatoes and green chiles like Rotel, drained. Optional
- fresh cilantro chopped, if desired for garnish
- high speed blender
Combine everything except for 1/4 cup chopped pickled jalapeños and can of tomatoes and chiles (Rotel) in a high-speed blender like a Vitamix. Including the 4-ounce can of green chiles. Start with 1 teaspoon salt. Blend until very smooth.
If the blender does not heat mixture, transfer to a saucepan and put on the stove over medium-low heat. Heat until desired consistency, stirring constantly so as not to burn the bottom.
Taste and add extra salt if desired. Pour vegan queso into a serving bowl and stir in the 1/4 cup chopped pickled jalapeños and drained can of Rotel if using. Garnish and serve.