Fish (500 g, or small whole fish)
Water (2 cups or enough to cover fish in the pan)
Dried chili peppers, cut into pieces (50 g or 1 cup)
Whole peppercorns (20 g or 1 Tbsp)
Vegetable oil (100 g, or about ½ cup)
Fresh ginger (5 g)
Fresh garlic (3 cloves sliced)
Crushed dried garlic (2 Tbsps)
Fresh cilantro to taste
Seasonal vegetables and additional ingredients (good options include bean sprouts, tofu, mushrooms, celery, cauliflower, broccoli)
Steps (10 min prep, 20 min cook)
1. Rinse fish or fish filets thoroughly. Dry over a paper towel. If using whole fish, separate the head from the filets.
2. Heat oil in a large pan on high heat. Turn the heat to medium and cook chili pieces, half of the peppercorns, ginger, and fresh garlic until slightly browned and the oil has turned red and fragrant.
3. Add the water and fish head, if applicable. Add your preferred additional ingredients. Turn heat to high and cook until boiling.
4. Add fish filets and cook until slightly opaque.
5. Garnish with the remaining peppercorns, cilantro, and crushed dried garlic.